Last week, we covered the headlines. This week, we'll take a look at emerging science and real food success stories.
- A new, Czech epi study (a large-scale ecological analysis) of cardiovascular disease risk across 158 countries points the finger at dietary carbs, not fat. "Results... identify high carbohydrate consumption (mainly in the form of cereals & wheat) as the dietary factor most consistently associated with the risk of CVDs." For a thoughtful analysis of this study, see The Nutrition Coalition's post.
- The CDC releases a new report on diabetes prevalence in US adults. The National Health Interview Survey was expanded to include questions about type 1 (0.55% of adults) vs. type 2 (8.6% or adults) and insulin status, so this report includes more robust information. Non-hispanic black adults have highest diabetes prevalence: 11.52%.
- The "obesity paradox" is debunked once again. A large cohort study (of white Europeans) shows lowest risk of CVD events/death at BMI of 22-23. "Any public misconception of a potential ‘protective’ effect of fat on CVD risk should be challenged."
- Ketone supplements... are they useful? A deep dive from Virta Health's Dr. Phinney. Although clearly NOT a substitute for keto diet, these supplements may have some uses... The science is ongoing, so stay tuned.
- The Atlantic reports on a rare breed of fish with wildly fluctuating blood glucose levels and a mutated insulin receptor that doesn't work.... Yet these blind fish are healthy and long-lived. Hmmm...
Real Food Success Stories
Success isn't just about weight loss:
- River, an adorable kid with type 1 diabetes, achieves normal average blood sugars—83mg/dL—with a real food, very low-carb diet! Check out the foundation his mom, Bethany, started: LetMeBe83.
- Heidi Klum keeps her supermodel good looks with full-fat, home cooked meals.
- Rebecca, a high school teacher, eliminates IBS, joint pain, and depression while losing 69 pounds with keto.
- Kim, a Virta patient and grandmother, is off of 8 prescription meds and has lowered her fasting blood sugar from 268 to 125mg/dL. Oh... and lost 100 pounds, too! All with a keto diet and online coaching from Virta Health.
- Jennifer Lankenau makes it to one year, seizure free, with a ketogenic diet. (125 pound weight loss, too.)
But carbohydrate restriction works for weight loss, too:
- Alberta man, Tony Bussey, loses 326 pounds with a low-carb, high-protein, real food diet plus walking. Whoa... talk about a transformation!
- Young mom, Kim, who doesn't have much time for the gym, loses 100 pounds with keto (and very little exercise).
- Jersey Shore star Vinny Guadagnino gets a six-pack ... <sigh>
What's on your plate?
Try our meal-idea-generator—
Tune in next week for longer reads and interesting articles about food. Plus, everyone's fave, the wall of shame...
The Moms @ Eat the Butter
Or visit our archive of prior news summaries:
Eat the Butter Newletter Archive